Thursday, April 28, 2016

Crossing the Streams in D&D

Some I'm going to be up front about one thing before any of this; I'm not a fan of Magic the Gathering (MtG). I have nothing against it, I just never got sucked into the whole thing and thankfully for my wallet I don't think I will any time soon. What I am into though is D&D, especially 5e, and I feel like this latest treat from Wizards of the Coast shows a lot of confidence in their latest system.

Yesterday on the Magic the Gathering site Wizards put up an article called Plane Shift: Zendikar. Personally I would have completely missed it because lie I said I'm not a MtG fan, but thankfully the guys running Sage Advise were kind enough to throw attention to it. For any of you who might be confused, as I was at first, Zendikar is one of the settings for MtG and the guys at Wizards decided to give people the tools to play in that setting for FREE. Sure there is of course the suggestion to pick up a conveniently new book they have for sale with more info about the setting and story hooks, but all of the nuts and bolts of actually running it are here with no cost.

Now I'm not blind to the fact that this is 100% a way to get Magic players to look at D&D that haven't already, but it's also worth noting that Magic is Wizards' real money maker and having the confidence to merge the two properties says a lot. Even more though is the fact that it helps reinforce what I've enjoyed most about 5e and that is its adaptability to different types of games. Here's hoping this kind of cross promotion isn't just a one time thing and we will continue seeing new takes on what can be done with this edition of D&D.

No comments:

Post a Comment